From September 2023, T Levels will be available to young people in Barnet. Designed with businesses, T Levels are an 80% academic and 20% work qualification designed to help students get to where they want to go fast. BELS Senior Curriculum Adviser Tracy Parrot has answered common questions about the new qualification.
What are T Levels?
· They are an exciting new qualification that is an alternative to A levels, other post-16 courses, or an apprenticeship.
· Students opt to study one T Level; they are a full-time qualification and take two years to complete. A T Level is the equivalent to 3 A Levels.
· T Levels have been designed with businesses, so the knowledge and skills gained are relevant and up to date. All T Level students will complete an Industry Placement with an employer. This gives students an insight into what a career is like in that area.
· T Level students spend 80% of their time in the classroom and 20% of their time in their Industry Placement.
What is an Industry Placement?
· It is a minimum of 315 hours, (approximately 45 working days) spread across the two-year course.
· It is a structured placement to develop real work skills, the placements are occupationally specific allowing students to develop practical and technical skills in the subject the student is studying.
· To learn more from students who have completed Industry Placements please visit: T Level industry placements – what students say - YouTube
Where can students study a T Level in Barnet?
· T Levels will be on offer in Barnet and Southgate College, Saracens High School, and St James’ Catholic High School.
Which T Levels are available from September 2023 in Barnet?
· Barnet and Southgate College will be offering a range of T Levels, more information can be found at their website: Courses for 16-18-Year-Olds | Barnet and Southgate College (barnetsouthgate.ac.uk)
· Saracens High School will be offering T Levels in Digital Production, Design and Development and Health. More information can be found at their website: Saracens High School – Welcome to Saracens High School, Barnet
· St James’ Catholic High School will be offering a Digital T Level in Digital Support Services. More information can be found Welcome To St. James' Catholic High School (st-james.barnet.sch.uk)
· For further information about T Level subjects please visit: www.tlevels.gov.uk/students/subjects
What progression routes are open to T Level students?
· Students can progress from a T Level on to apprenticeships, jobs and university.
How do I help my child make their Post-16 choices?
· Make sure that you and your child attend your school’s Post 16 Options event - usually held in the Autumn Term of Year 11.
How can I help my child make learn more about this new qualification?
· Share this hyperlink which shares T Level student experiences Case Studies | T Levels
· Consult the BELS Post -16 prospectuses to learn about T Levels as well as other qualifications and pathways: Post-16 | BELS
· Make use of Barnet Education, Employment and Training Support (BEETS), speak to Barnet careers advisors on 020 8359 2011.
Speaking about T Levels coming to Saracens High School, Principal Dr. Stevens said:
“We are excited to announce the launch of two T Levels as part of our Sixth Form provision at Saracens High School. Our unique Sixth Form offers a genuinely broad and inclusive curriculum including two T Levels alongside our traditional A Level offer, and our pioneering Pre-Apprenticeship and Saracens sporting pathways. T Levels have been repeatedly heralded as the 'gold standard' of vocational qualifications and we are working closely with colleagues at Barnet Education and Learning Service (BELS) and Middlesex University, as well as leading industry experts in both fields, to be able to offer an unrivalled provision.”
Assistant Principal Mr. Olufola also echoed this excitement, saying:
"We are excited to be delivering a T Level in Digital, Production, Design and Development from September 2023. This qualification is perfect for those students hoping for a career in software development, web designing, games development and other digital industries. Saracens Sixth Form students will have access to industry-standard hardware and software. The Digital T Level is a comprehensive qualification preparing students for success in the digital industries of the future. We are also excited to be delivering the Health T Level, including an occupational specialism in Midwifery. Saracens Sixth Form is proud of its partnerships with local NHS trusts and higher education institutions who will be supporting us in delivering a 45 day healthcare work placement. They will engage with our modern facilities found on-site and within the wider Saracens family, including Saracens and Middlesex University's state-of-the-art teaching facilities at Stone X stadium."
Schools in Barnet that would like to learn more about T Levels should contact Tracy Parrott at email@example.com
Employers interested in learning more about T Levels and how they could host work placement for students should contact Marsha Latrous at firstname.lastname@example.org